Quality Oak Timer Frames

The builder of Quality , Bespoke timber frames now has a blog.
This site will keep you upto date with all the new projects that I am Creating.
Based in Devon but will build anywhere

Thursday 15 May 2014

Rubber / zinc roof

We have had some really sunny days so I managed to Finnish off the roof on the extension in Dartmouth . 
It's a rubber roof sheet and it was a treat to lay. 
Normally they are supplied with a plastic facia , but I didn't like the look of this so I had some sink cut and folded so that I could edge the roof in that insted. 
I am really pleased with the end result. Although the photo is a bit crap. 




4 comments:

  1. This looks beautiful and I understand the benefits involved, but I've always wondered how one maintains such a roof. Does all the extra material have to be removed when the roof eventually leaks? roof contractors

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the other options...
    Zinc , looks great but is expensive.
    Fiberglass . Looks horrible.
    Bitchumen felt, lasts 5 mins.
    I'm not a roofer so I'm not the gospel on flat roofs , but the ruber was easy to lay , looked great , was cheap , is guaranteed for a long time and if it does fail (I can't see how) you either peal it off and add another layer or you just lay another layer on top. Every job is a pain to fix if it goes wrong but if it's done right in the first place , why should you have a problem?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the roofs in the school district I work in are a white "rubber" like material...that can be heat welded and/or glued in case of it needing a patch job...don't know if it is similar in composition to what you are using. I prefer it to the old "composition" roofing that was used in the past. Your roof looks good....and will probably last longer than many of the older methods of roofing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rubber roofing is a popular method for installing flat roofs on houses or commercial buildings nowadays. It is a merely new technique for roof installation by use of new materials but some see it as a new era in the building trade.

    Iko roofing

    ReplyDelete